You may be hearing a few rumors going around about how much CBD can help dogs with certain ailments. Well guess what? The rumors are true!
First of all, what is CBD?
CBD is an active compound (called a cannabinoid) that is found in mature hemp plants. It is a non-psychoactive compound, meaning it doesn’t product any kind of “high” or “buzz”. It is a great natural alternative for many dogs who need long term care but their doggy parents don’t want them to be on a daily pharmaceuticals or for those doggies who do not respond to traditional medications.
The more you research CBD for dogs, the more health issues you can find that CBD can help with. Whether your dog needs balanced blood sugar levels or help with vomiting and nausea, CBD can help!
But here are the top 5 benefits we think are most important that CBD can help provide.
1. CBD Can Help Relieve Anxiety
Anxiety affects dogs in many different ways. Common reasons for anxiety usually fall into two main areas:
- Situational – such as thunderstorms, fireworks, strangers and travel
- Behavioral – like separation anxiety
Research shows that CBD oil works by interacting with the body’s naturally occurring endocannabinoid system to soothe and calm anxiety naturally. The calming effects of CBD are thought to be the result of active Cannabidiol on serotonin receptors in the brain, and CBD’s ability to help the hippocampus regenerate neurons.
2. CBD Can Help Reduce Seizures
Did you know that up to 5% of dogs suffer from seizures? When seizures in dogs are diagnosed, many vets opt to put them on strong medication to combat the condition. However, these drugs can come with some serious side effects, including damage to their liver and other vital organs, lethargy, confusion, and dizziness, and more. Even so, these medications aren’t always effective in treating dog seizures.
But CBD oil for dogs has been proven to be far more helpful, especially for those resistant to other drugs. For instance, one study found that dogs who were given CBD had a 33% reduction in the frequency of seizures.
Studies are still being conducted on how CBD can help dogs with seizures, but so far, CBD is proving to be a safer choice to help your dog.
3. CBD Can Inhibit Cell Growth in Tumors/Cancer Cells
Cancer is a word we never want to hear, especially about our loved ones, including our furry friends. But what if there was a natural solution for dogs to help with cancer? If you dig into some research, evidence points to CBD being able to help!
- CBD can help manage the symptoms of cancer and possible side effects of treatment
- Preliminary evidence shows that CBD can help fight the development and spread of certain types of tumors.
4. CBD Can Help Relieve Pain and Reduce Inflammation
Is your furbaby suffering from pain? Well guess what?! CBD can help! And it’s a natural alternative!
- CBD can be used to control chronic pain resulting from illness or injury
- CBD has a direct effect on arthritis pain by reducing inflammation and mediating pain
- CBD can also be used for joint pain caused by sprains, strains, and tears, particularly in older dogs
5. CBD Can Help Protect Nervous System Degeneration
Did you know that CBD is a neuro-protectant? This means CBD can help protect your dog’s brain and nerve cells from different types of damage, degeneration, and impairment of their function. It can help with cognitive ability, especially as your dog gets older!